Chicago Sexual Harassment Attorney
Understanding Sexual Harassment and Your Rights
Has a co-worker made unwelcome sexual advances toward you? Are emails from your supervisor making you uncomfortable because they contain sexual innuendos? If you believe you are being sexually harassed at work, now is the time to take action. Talking with a Chicago employment lawyer is an important first step. With considerable knowledge of sexual harassment laws and nearly two decades of experience protecting employee rights, the Law Offices of Fern Trevino can offer you sound advice and guidance.
Sexual harassment is a form of discrimination, prohibited by federal, state and local laws. It includes conduct such as unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and verbal and physical harassment that is sexual in nature. The law protects both male and female employees from sexual harassment, regardless of whether the harasser is of the same sex or the opposite sex (e.g. a man may be sexually harassed by another man).
Sexual harassment is actionable if it is severe or pervasive, or occurs so frequently that the workplace becomes offensive or hostile. As an example, sexual harassment occurs when a manager, co-worker or a customer:
- touches you in inappropriate ways, including hugging, kissing, patting, or deliberately brushing up against you;
- asks questions or comments about your clothing, your body or your sex life;
- tells sexual jokes that you find offensive, or makes other sexually suggestive remarks even though you have objected;
- threatens to deny you a promotion, demote you or terminate you if you refuse to accept a date or have physical contact; or
- displays posters, magazines, pictures or screensavers that are sexual in nature, or circulates explicit or sexually suggestive emails.
You do not have to put up with sexual harassment in the workplace. Contact an attorney at the Law Offices of Fern Trevino to find out how to stop the harassment from continuing. If you have been wrongfully terminated or otherwise retaliated against in conjunction with sexual harassment or reporting sexual harassment, the firm can offer sound
counsel. The firm is dedicated to representing Chicago-area employees who are victims of sexual harassment and retaliation.
Contact a Chicago sexual harassment lawyer today.